Zesty Fresh Summer Pudding is a perfect dessert to finish any healthy meal. It’s fantastic for kids or people who need persuading to eat something healthy as it tastes fantastic, yet is packed with vitamins, essential minerals, fibre and has an amazing profile of polyphenols and other anti-inflammatory phytonutrients.
Ingredients for Zesty Fresh Summer Pudding
- 2 medium bananas
- ½ cup of dates (pitted, roughly chopped and soaked for 10 minutes in hot water)
- ½ cup of ground almonds
- 1 cup of water
- The zest of ½ a lime
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Toppings (optional): Shaved papaya, papaya seeds, ground cacao nibs
How to make Zesty Fresh Summer Pudding
Blend all the pudding ingredients together, except the chia seeds, till smooth. You can use a jug or hand blender for this. Mix in the chia seeds and pour into bowls. Leave in the fridge overnight. Add the toppings in the morning and eat!
Although every ingredient in this recipe is a nutritional power house, I will focus on the following:
Bananas: High in Potassium, slow release carbohydrates, great to start the morning with
Chia seeds: Source of protein, for 100g you have 34% of your RDA, high in fibre which is awesome in the morning to get the bowel moving. High in Omega Fatty Acids (essential fatty acids, Omega 3) which help raise HDL (good cholesterol) and reduce LDL (bad cholesterol). Also rich in iron and calcium
Papaya seeds: Not many know this, but Papaya seeds are pretty much nutritional medicine! They contain nutrients that help the liver and kidneys cleansing. It is anti-inflammatory and helps with arthritis and joints pain!
- This is a breakfast you make the night before. Overnight breakfasts are great for removing decision making from your morning. So rather than being tempted by a sugary cereal you have it right there, ready for you.
- You can make this in Tupperware and take it with you for a breakfast to eat on your commute or at work
- Great for kids as it’s like dessert but much healthier than most cereals
These ingredients were bought online from Ocado (https://www.ocado.com), but you can also purchase them from most large supermarkets or health food stores. The lucuma we used was Naturya Natural Organic Lucuma Powder, which can be purchased from Ocado or from Planet Organic (http://www.planetorganic.com) or natural health stores.