This is another great example of a really healthy tasty, easy to make dish which is packed full of fibre, vitamins, vitamins, minerals and above all polyphenols. A fantastic snack on its own or a thoughtful complement to full meal.
Here is what you need to make spicy, bean, chilli
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno chilli (remove seeds)
- 1 courgette/zuccini (chopped)
- 1/2 cup sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
- 1 can/glass jar kidney beans
- 1 can/glass jar black beans
- 1 glass jar passata
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 bunch of coriander
- 1 cup kale
- 2 avocados
- 1 fresh tomato
- 1 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 1 lime
Where to buy the ingredients for spicy bean chilli:
We bought all these ingredients online from Ocado (https://www.ocado.com) and Planet Organic (http://www.planetorganic.com), but you can also purchase them from most large supermarkets or health food stores.
This is how you do it…
- Toast the cumin seeds in a pot to release the flavour. Add olive oil, garlic, onion and jalapeño. Stir till golden.
- Add courgette and sweet potato, stir fry for 4 minutes.
- Add beans, passata and water, salt and coriander.
- Remove from heat and add kale.
- Serve with Guacamole and optional Quinoa.
- Place avocado in cut and mash. Add finely chopped tomato, onion and lime and mix well.
Tomatoes when cooked release a powerful antioxidant called Licopene, which is very helpful for fighting prostate cancer. Raw tomatoes have a high amount of Vitamins C (which is reduced by 15 to 29 % when cooked)
Black Beans have a lot of fibre, potassium, folate, vitamin B6, and phytonutrient content. Its lack of cholesterol, support heart health. This fiber helps lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood and decrease the risk of heart disease. Kidney beans have a lot of the same properties of black beans. They contain a lot of antioxidants (phenolic acids) as well as manganese.
Avocado contains healthy fats – omega 3, which are wonderful for the brain and skin. Contain folate (B9), B6, C, E, and k . High in fibre. Studies show eating avocados lowed LDL and triglycerides all linked with heart disease and HBP. Rich in antioxidants Lutein and Zeaxanthin. It also showed in studies that it prevents or slows down the growth of prostate cancer.