Welcome to the first recipe in this “Food for Life” series. We are starting with a healthy gluten free pizza which can be made in ten minutes. The ingredients are cheap, tasty and easy to prepare. This simple dish looks like junk food but it’s super healthy. It has lot of vegetables, herbs and spices rich in fibre, essential minerals and vitamins and packed with health enhancing polyphenols and other phytochemicals.
This blog, and others to follow, will list the readily available ingredients, describe where they can be bought, and show you a video of how they can be prepared and cooked.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp Himalyan salt
- Basil leaves
- 300g passata
- 1/2 fennel bulb
- Handful of asparagus
- 1 leek
- 1 Courgette
- A few mushrooms
- And a splash of olive oil
Where can you buy these ingredients?
For this meal they were bought online from ocado.com, but you can also purchase them from most large supermarkets and many health food stores.
- Preheat your oven to 200c.
- In a jug mix the flour, water and salt with a fork. Leave to rest for a few minutes.
- Put a baking sheet on a large baking tray.
- Pour the flour mixture onto the paper, try to make it a round pizza shape but it’s not a problem if you can’t.
- Put this in the oven whilst you prepare the toppings. This should take 10-15 minutes, the edges will be starting to brown.
- In a bowl mix the passata with the nutritional yeast.
- Grate the garlic in to this, shred or tear the basil and add that too.
- Using your peeler shred the fennel, just a handful will suffice. Put into a large bowl.
- Chop about 2 inches off the bottom end of the asparagus. Roughly chop at a diagonal angle. Add to the bowl.
- Finely slice the leek. Add to the bowl.
- Cut the top and bottom off the courgettes. Using the peeler shred into wide thin pieces. Add to the bowl.
- Finely slice the mushrooms but do not put these in the bowl yet. Add a splash of olive oil and a dash of salt to the bowl.
- Using your hands mix this well and massage the oil into the veg. Now add the mushrooms and mix just a little.
- Take your base out of the oven if you haven’t already. Turn the oven up to 230c.
- Top with the passata, use however much you want, some people like a lot and some people like a little, it’s up to you.
- Top with the veg.
- Put the pizza on the top shelf of the oven.
- After 10 minutes check the pizza, the veg should be starting to brown, bake more if needed.
Food for Life is a collaboration between
- Yes to Life
- Consultant oncologist Professor Robert Thomas, author of ‘Lifestyle after Cancer’,
- Vegan chef Day Radley
- Founder of Live Lean Health Chantal di Donato
Cancer is a very serious and individual disease. Users must consult with experts in their appropriate medical field before taking up any form of treatment. The information in this video is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment.